Thursday, July 31, 2008

A song for the momen of the imams family


Today the Imam from my Masjid was walking downtown with his wife and daughter. Both women wear abaya and the niqab, and the Sheik wears a thobe and Ghutra. Girls in tank tops ogle them and speak behind their hands, and people giggle. These are my people, and this is my country, just as it is the country of the Imam's daughter, and when I hear the things people say I feel almost ashamed that I am Canadian. What freedom do we have? To dress the way we choose but to look down on others who choose not to do the same, thinking something of them that they are not?. Trying to vent my frustration, I started singing to myself, and these are my lyrics...


HIJAB-lyrics by Alixianna


When you see me
Do you say
I'm glad--that I'm free.
And from this-- country?
Well, my sister, daughter, mother, friend
I refuse to judge you here on the other end
Because
I've stood that place before
And we both know
You're still looking
For "that something more"
I think I'm beautiful.
In fact I know I am.
That's why Islam.
I am equal to a man.
Laud or applaud I-
Only bow to God.
Judge me for my actions
Since you cannot see my face.
I don't go in for pretense interactions
And under fabric---equal every race.
Freedom is not a piece of cloth
The way a flag
Is not a country...
Perception is limited
When a woman is reduced to only
What you see.
Praise be to ALLAH!
The ONE and ONLY
That more is expected of me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home